Sunday 13 February 2011

A path through Rainville, Paramaribo, Suriname

It was just a walk around the block...

There are a lot of small streets around here, where the actual street in between the house rows is not even paved, it's just dirt path. The houses may differ one from another a lot. There are nice, big, nicely painted houses, with colourful, flowery bushes around, as well as old, wooden, surrounded by dry sticks, that used to be nice plants or trees. People have so many things in their gardens, from old cars, half-eaten by rust to huge satellite dishes, that look to me as some kind of UFOs. There is so much contrast here - beautiful things right next to ugly ones, road signs hidden in bushes, a beautiful mosque next to an terrible storage building... It's really hard to take a decent picture...

Beautiful garden plants

Also nice wall art, maybe not very artistic, but colourful and optimistic :)

Palm trees are everywhere, really tall, distinctive and distinguished, look like tailor made

Some old playground, pity, because there aren't many parks or places where you can sit and relax

A weird pipe ending in the air. And the dog was looking at me all the time,
apart from the split second when I pressed the shutter ;)

That's one of the satellite dishes. On the left you can see a trash stand,
they put their rubbish up high so the animal didn't tear the bags apart

A pretty nice - from my arty point of view - house, very old and neglected,
but somehow cute, especially the curtain

Just a picture that I think is funny

And another one, interestingly very similar

A cat, one of few that I saw here. People have many dogs though, very noisy, barking all the time...


A street, one of the 'main' streets here. Quite peaceful and quiet. It's getting dark, 7 pm.


And one of the American 'traditions' came to Suriname too... The shops are well prepared ;)


A really nice mosque, I didn't know there was one in the neighbourhood, I have to go there again,
when we remember to switch off the rice cooker before we leave for a walk ;)

One of the few traffic lights around here

That would be it for today, I hope I have demonstrated at least a little bit of the district spirit to you.

4 comments:

  1. Here's a comment for you! I love your pics and stories. Many things are similar to Africa (from a European point of view at least), but I somehow got so used to it that I don't think about writing about it and making pictures. I'm also not always comfortable taking pictures, and all I have now is my phone so my pictures aren't as nice as yours. Anyway, keep going, at least a post a day, for each blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I so would love to see more pics from Africa!!! Buy a camera!~~!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The weird pipe ending in the air" holds a TL-light tube inside to have a light near the gate at night. By using PVC pipes to hold the electrical parts for the TL-light tube, it is protected from the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tha sounds totally plausible!! Thank you, Anonymous, for the explanation. :)

    ReplyDelete