Sunday 28 June 2009

Michael Jackson's path



I still cannot believe he died... I remember celebrating his 34rd birthday - I was playing his music all day long, in a room where the biggest wall was all covered with posters of him... There were a few of us, teenagers, adoring the guy and his masterpieces... Almost every single song was great which made it easier to listen - we didn't have to forward the tapes to skip a crappy song (there were no CDs then).
I kept liking him and his music later too... It was usually kind of 'uncool' to admit that someone liked him, but I always did, and I never let people talk silly things about him (skin whitening etc.). I stayed pretty unemotional hearing the news about his supposed pedophilia, I thought that noone ever caught him, they even dropped charges against him (and I bet it would be a nice piece of news for tabloids if he actually was a pedophile), his weird behaviour regarding his children (masks on their faces, showing off the baby out of the balcony)...

I've read a few interviews with people who met him personally, including our former president AK, and he seemed to be a very, nice, shy, a bit lost man... Trying to get over all the bad things he experienced during his short childhood. He was probably trying to get it back during his life, but he didn't quite realize it was not possible, even if you surround yourself with children, even if you buy carousels... He lived this dream till the end.
I felt sorry for him. But he did so much good, for children, for black people, for the world really... There are as many people loving him as hating... But one thing is clear for everyone - he was a great artist. I feel really strange knowing that he's not with us here... I really wanted to see him live. I always envied Żaba, a friend, who saw him in Warsaw... The only live thing about him I saw was a rocky band playing his covers, really good event, in Leipzig, Germany in 2008 - thanks Rebecca! :)
This is the song that always makes me veeery emotional... It's got such a simple but powerful message... Like himself.

"Man In The Mirror"

I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .

As I, Turn Up The Collar On My
Favourite Winter Coat
This Wind Is Blowin' My Mind
I See The Kids In The Street,
With Not Enough To Eat
Who Am I, To Be Blind?
Pretending Not To See
Their Needs
A Summer's Disregard,
A Broken Bottle Top
And A One Man's Soul
They Follow Each Other On
The Wind Ya' Know
'Cause They Got Nowhere
To Go
That's Why I Want You To
Know

I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change...



No comments:

Post a Comment